Fairy Tale Project
You chose one of the Grimm's Fairy Tales, summarized and identified major themes and lessons.
Research the Fairy tale further - find another version of the story. It may be from another country or part of the world (remember, the Grimm's are German) it may be a modernized version of the story, a la Disney or DreamWorks.
For the alternate version of the tale: summarize and identify the major themes and lessons.
Compare and contrast the two stories:
- What elements are the same, what are different? How do the differences change the story for you? Do the differences change the themes or lessons?
- Which version do you prefer and why?
- What needs to be changed or modified to make the story relevant for today?
Sometimes the lessons and themes in the story are outdated, or only partially hold true. Often it is the setting and how the characters interact. Give some thought to how people interact today versus how they interact in the story. For example: would President Obama hold a ball (gala/party) with the intent of his daughters choosing a husband from the attendees?
Project: Modernized Fairy Tales
Based on the work above (you will hand in the summaries of each tale with the themes and lessons, as well as the comparison and further analysis for a grade!) Re-write the original version of the story you read so that it is more relevant for todays young people.
Once you have rewritten the story you will create a "Story book". This can be a physical "book" or digital via Wevideo.com, BUT it MUST includes images. You can create the images yourself by staging a photo shoot, collect images online, or draw them yourself. BE CREATIVE!!
The Little Mermaid - article response
Please complete the following - you may type or write your responses:
1. Compare and contrast the Disney's The Little Mermaid to the original story by Hans Christian Andersen.
- What are the similarities and differences?
- Which story did you prefer? Explain why.
- Why do you think Disney made the changes it did?
- How did these changes alter the themes you identified in the original? - Be specific.
- What new themes emerged?
Read the article which was handed out: Why My Kids Will Not Be Watching The Little Mermaid.
Answer the following:
1. Summarize why the author's kids will not be watching The Little Mermaid.
2. Do you agree with the author?
3. Respond to the Author's view on the moral of Disney's story:
- Do you agree with their analysis? Why or why not?
4. What do you think of the author's interpretation of Disney's story?
An argument has made that in the original story Ariel is responsible for herself - she makes her own choices and deals with the consequences, however, Disney's version Ariel is a victim of others malicious plans. What do you think?
12/5 Fairytales Revised...
Use the following links to explore the Grimm Fairy Tales.
Answer the following questions:
1. Summarize the Fairy Tale
2. What are the major events and characters? (If you were telling someone about this story what MUST be included to get the point??)
3. What lessons and themes do you draw from this Fairy Tale?
4. Which lessons and themes hold true today? Which don't? Why?
5. What would/could be changed to update this Fairy Tale and make it more relevant?
Welcome! I want to welcome you to Anthropology and the 2014-2015 school year. I am very excited to start this school year with you. Anthropology is a broad subject area to study. In this course we will focus on Anthropology & Folklore. Folklore plays an important role in society. It is the traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community.
Has been teaching in the City School District of Albany for twelve years.